Subject: [Leica] Early days, please confirm sinking suspicion
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:19:33 -0800

John:  You do not have to set the white balance when shooting RAW (DNG).
Many applications, including Capture One and Lightroom, will pick up the
in-camera settings and initially display the picture using the balance
you set.  But if you goofed or left it at yesterday's setting, all you
have to do is change it in the RAW development software. The in-camera
setting is *not* cooked into the actual pixels, it's just a tag.

I often try to set the white balance roughly correct beforehand. But if
I don't get it right, all I have to do is find something white or gray
in one of the pictures, click the eyedropper on it, apply that setting
to the whole batch, and then fine-tune by eye. Just like with any other
RAW file from any other digital camera I've met.

--Peter

 > Holy Doodle! Strolling through the M8 manual and online bafflegab, I
get the
 > distinct impression that you have to set the white balance even in
DNG; or,