Subject: [Leica] Now Oz: Yearbook Submissions
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:51:52 -0600

I have a copy of Lucky Bucky in Oz, it belonged to my father.

*From Wikipedia:**  Lucky Bucky in Oz* (1942) is the thirty-sixth in the
series of Oz books created by L. Frank Baum and his successors, and the
third and last written and illustrated solely by John R. Neill. (He wrote a
fourth, The Runaway in Oz, but died before illustrating it.)  Bucky Jones
is aboard a tugboat in New York Harbor when the boiler blows up. He is soon
blown into the Nonestic Ocean where he meets Davy Jones, a wooden whale.[1]
The pair take an undersea route to the Emerald City, and have many
adventures along the way.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
wrote:

> In the Portland Oregon Powells rare book room by far the hottest items
> appear to be the older editions of the OZ series. The First book by the
way
> published in the year 1900.
> The ones I hold dear were from the 60's. They were printed fairly well.
The
> jackets are simple and the illustrations by John R. Neill are printed
well.
> I have little interest in the earlier more valuable ones I seem to be more
> interested in my own personal childhood nostalgia which took place in the
> 60's.
> I found many of the oz books to not read like watered down sequels but I
> found them as a young teen to be as rewarding if not more so than the
> original Wizard.
>
> But when you're in the Emerald city you're supposed to wear your green
> glasses.
> And the Gillikins to the north the Quadlings to the south the Munchins to
> the west and the Winkies to the east... The land I live in now. Tall
> buildings.
>
> --
> Mark R.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/onthisAutumnday/
>

> > From: Neal Friedenthal <neal at photoneal.com>
> > Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:23:51 -0500
> > To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Leica] 68 LUG Yearbook Submissions Thus Far--I need you
to eep
> > Them Coming!
> >
> > The backyard idea came from the writers at MGM. In the book when she
goes to
> > Oz its real.  She does not hit her head and dream the whole thing in
color
> > only to come back to her black and white life in Kansas when she wakes
up.
> > She ends up moving there. Also in the book she's 11.
> > There were several books afterwards most of which my Dad read after
dinner
> > at the table during desert in the 60's.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oz_books
> >
> > In the book
> > Dorothy is an orphan.
> > The Munchkins were not midgets or dwarfs, just smaller than regular
adults.
> > In other words actors.
> >
> > And more importantly:
> > The Wicked Witch of the East had Silver Shoes, not Ruby Slippers.
> >
> > I just noticed yesterday at At Barnes and Noble the book is put in in
the
> > cheap Barnes and noble published classes right next to Jane Austen and
the
> > Count of Monte Cristo.
> >
> > --
> > Mark R.
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > My mother read the OZ book to my brother and me when we were growing
up, I
> > have the collection unfortunately not first editions
> >   and not in very good condition. However it does contain all 14 of the
L.