Subject: [Leica] M9 DNG compression
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:48:31 -0500

I can't detect any difference in the detail or dynamic range or any
data, for that matter but as has been said before, the uncompressed DNG
files slow down the camera by a factor of 4 when put against my
non-scientific test of wristwatch second hand vs. write time.

I shot uncompressed for a while but during that time I ALSO had
numerous faults with the camera occur. I had shutter faults occur
several days in a row and twice in one day. I also had obvious
magenta horizontal banding occur while shooting uncompressed. When I
switched back to compressed DNG the problems didn't go away (shutter
faults did) but became far more infrequent.

M9 is headed to Leica NJ next week for a full warranty service to
address all this, the hot pixels and possibly removal of the 135mm
framelines.

Phil Forrest