Subject: [Leica] Steve Barbour was thinking about 3f or 3g.....
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 21:01:07 -0800

What Frank has written is true, however there is an easy way around it.
You mount the lens on an M body, and unscrew it from the adapter. You
then remove the adapter from the body using either:

* An old M-mount rear lens cap, which has three little nubs on the
bottom for just this purpose.
* A rubber glove.

I have one 50mm LTM-M adapter that I use with several 50mm lenses, so I
do this all the time.

This of course won't work with lenses to which an adapter has been glued.

Steve, if you're still thinking about a IIIf or IIIg, try to borrow and
screw-mount leica and shoot with it for a bit.  Reality is sometimes
less satisfying than what you expect.  I really don't miss my IIIf, and
I shot with it for years. The moment I could afford an M, I upgraded.
The three major pluses a Barnack camera has over an M are:

* Portability. With a collapsible lens, it fits in a jacket pocket.
* Nostalgia
* RF ease of use and accuracy, due to the 1.5x magnification.

But you also have to deal with separate RF and viewfinder windows, a
small squinty viewfinder, and the fiddly dual shutter speed dials. They
are much better to use with a bright-line 50 or 35mm finder, but that
kind of kills the fits-in-a-coat-pocket thing, and you still focus and
view through two different windows.  I also found the Barnack viewing
system somewhat less than ideal for a glasses wearer.

--Peter