Subject: [Leica] My artist's statement
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:01:09 -0500

That's because sculpture, painting, and drawing on paper no longer have
significant commercial uses. That is all done on computers now. Even
commercial sculpture (designing things like car bodies, etc.) is done on
computers now (3D modeling software). Photography has commercial (eg.
Product photography, wedding photography), fine art (landscapes, etc.),
and non-artistic/non-commercial uses (snapshots of your kids and cats).

Even before computers, terms like "Illustration" were used for drawing and
painting used commercially. We don't have a term for commercial
photography that doesn't include the word 'photography' so we still need a
term for artistic photography. Like it or not, the term accepted by the
people who's opinion matters to artists (Buyers, critics, historians,
curators, and sellers of art) is "Fine Art." I'd like to point out that
the term is used for all other forms of fine art too; that's why people
who earn degrees in art have a degree in "Fine Art". My diploma from
Indiana University says "Bachelor of Fine Arts." It would say that no
matter what kind of art I did, not just because I majored in photography.
The art program I completed was not a commercial photo or commercial art
program, it concentrated exclusively on making art for personal
expression. Fine Art.

Also art galleries that sell art often have the term Fine Art in their
names. So do museums, though many just have the word Art without the fine
(but many art museums show commercial art that is considered historically
important, like industrial design and advertising and illustration).

Is it 'odd' to to add the word Fine to art? Maybe, but it is harmless, and
there are FAR more important things to fight against in the world today.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook