Subject: [Leica] My artist's statement
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 13:03:16 +0100

Fine Arts comes from the French: Beaux Arts (early 19th century).
Here, art -from the latin ars- can be used for war; l'art de la
guerre, love; l'art d'aimer, engineering; arts m?caniques,
arts premiers, arts martiaux, etc.
Meaning art, trade, skills, expertise, etc. it is not opposed to ugly
arts, or gross arts, etc.

We'd simply say Photographie d'Art, about the results. I would be
reluctant to apply it to the photog though. Even worse would be
Photographe de(s) Beaux Arts sic, which would sound presumptuous or
vain, here.

My transatlantic pinch of salt
Philippe

Le 4 janv. 12 ? 00:24, Chris Crawford a ?crit :