Subject: [Leica] Gandhi again with fast high end wide
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 14:22:12 +1030

The Leica Summilux 24 has higher contrast and a bit more sharpness but
more distortion than the Nikkor 28/1.4.  The newer Nikkor 24/1.4 AF-S
lens is sharper and has less distortion than both of them, but is
huge, even huger than the 28/1.4 Nikkor.  The edges of the 28/1.4
Nikkor aren't as good on FX digital as they were on film, but it was
designed 20+ years ago, and introduced 19 years ago, and things do
progress.  With an adaptor, you can even compare them all, at least
wide open, on an M9, levelling some of the differences that cameras
make that interfere with comparing the lenses.  Not very helpful for
real world use, of course.

Henning may point out, and for him it is very important, that the
absolute amount of distortion sometimes isn't as important as the type
of distortion if you want to correct it later, and in this regard the
Leica is ahead, because the retrofocus Nikkors have "moustache"
distortion that is hard to correct, while the Leica's distortion is
more linear and easier to fix in software.

Marty