Subject: [Leica] IMG: planning your next full frame camera for travel
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:05:37 -0500

I agree that the D700 is a darned heavy camera to carry around all day.
But I've been doing it for over a year now. It keeps me in shape. I'm used
to it. It can be done. And its worth it.
A huge issue is what lens  you've got in front of it.
If I'm feeling tired in the morning I put a lightweight compact optic in
front of it. Not something fast or a zoom.
My lightweights are my
28 2.8 AF made of plastic.
45 2.8 P silver pancake and
50mm 1.8 D which is a featherweight.

This makes it can tell you carrying around the D700 in my Domke black canvas
803 satchel much more tolerable.
I'd much rather it have the size and weight of a Leica M but that's not in
the cards for me at this point.

Right now in my bag its a D700 & 80 1.8 which weight 1395 grams
My Rolleiflex 2.8 F weighs 1,220 grams
That's the difference between 43 or 49 ounces.
But with the 50 it weighs a bit less than the Rolleiflex.
And the Rolleiflex  was carried around all day in case by 90 year old Imogen
Cunningham. And lots of other photographers. And me.
For some reason I  use that as a starting point weight wise. A flat line.

I carried around an M6 with Noctilux with me all day for a year and that
weights 1144 grams or 40.3 ozs. Having a 50 Summicron on it makes it much
lighter and compact.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/

> From: Gene duprey <grduprey at mchsi.com>
> Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:13:56 -0600 (CST)
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: planning your next full frame camera for travel
>
> The D700 is still pretty darn heavy to carry around all day.  The M8 is
> still
> my everyday carry everywhere camera.  The R8DMR is also too heavy for
> everyday
> carry, but it is always in the car with the D700.

gene

----- Original