Subject: [Leica] Scanners - Mark's travails
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:45:39 -0500

I had trouble with my Scan Dual III just stopping for a long time. I
decided to get it out again when I became dissatisfied with my flatbed's
performance. I upgraded to the latest VueScan and walla! It works
without stopping. If you haven't done so you may want to check for
updates. I'm on OS-X so your results may vary, but I had the same
problems under Windows.

Mike D

On 1/10/12 4:51 PM, Mark Pope wrote:
> [...]
> scan failed, with the application becoming unresponsive.  The only way
> to stop the application was to do so via the task manager.
>
> I then tried the original Minolta software under Windows 7 after
> having found a way of getting the driver to work.  All seemed to be
> going well: prescans worked but  full scans would just stop for no
> reason and there was no way of ejecting the film holder.
>
> The new machine has USB3 ports and I'm wondering whether there is some
> sort of compatibility issue between the scanner (USB2) and the new
> hardware.  I probably have a USB2 PC card somewhere, but whether it's
> compatible with either the new motherboard or Windows 7 is anybody's
> guess.
>
> So I have now given up on the Minolta working under Windows 7.  I may
> keep my XP machine 'just' for scans and a couple of odd apps, but it's
> not really practical as it now lives in the garage and I access it
> when needs be using RDP.
>
> I also have an Epson V700 flat bed scanner, which I've used
> successfully for 5x4 and medium format scans.  I decided to give it a
> go for scanning 35mm film.  Colour slides were decidedly soft, so
> further experimentation is needed, adjusting the height of the slide
> film holder to see if I can improve the focus.
> 35mm B&W negatives however, were pretty good:  I made a scan at
> 3200DPI and was able to get a very acceptable A4 print once I had
> tweaked the settings a touch.  An A3 print is probably going to be OK
> too.
>
> I did find that scanning using the Digital ICE facility within the
> Epson software gave some strange artifacts.  Keeping the settings
> simple gave the best results.  3200 DPI, no USM, some slight level
> adjustments and that was about it.
>

> Mark Pope,
> Swindon, Wilts
> UK
>
> Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk
> Blog                   http://www.monomagic.co.uk/blog
> Picture a week (2010)
> http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2010
> Picture a week (2009)
> http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2009
>                (2008)
> http://www.monomagic.co.uk/index.php?gallery=paw/2008
>
> On 09/01/2012 00:09, H&ECummer wrote:
>> If you can't find a LS5000 at an acceptable price the LS4000 might be
>> an acceptable and cheaper alternative.
>> I have that model which I control with Silverfast to my Mac and the
>> results are very good. Here is a sample scan
>> of an extachrome slide taken in North China in 1976.
>>
>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/_HeavyIndustw.jpg.html>
>>

>> Black and white scans equally well.
>> Howard (in cold Hong Kong)
>>

>>> Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:14:29 -0500
>>> From: Tina Manley<images at comporium.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners
>>> To: Leica Users Group<lug at leica-users.org>
>>>
>>> I don't think there's anything better for B&W film than the Nikon
>>> 35mm or 9000 for medium format unless it's one of the very expensive
>>> Leaf
>>> scanners.  A dedicated film scanner is going to be much better than a