Subject: [Leica] IMG: Film Developing - Reticulation
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:42:03 -0500

I think in the last twenty years of film making by Kodak, Ilford and Fuji
and whoever  else they got it so no matter what you did; ice cold to boiling
hot water and back you were not going to get any reticulation. Its a thing
we white haired guys and gals have in our pasts which  even people who got a
toe in on film  at the end were not able to do.  A bit of a right of
passage. Many of my friends had that one reticulation example they could dig
up and show you a print of.
Now its just digital algorithms. Third party software to fool around with
endlessly till the company goes out of business and it doesn't work with the
next Photoshop upgrade. Way more ways of experimentation and variety. But no
ice cold and boiling hot water repeated baths.
No more sloshing away in the toxic waste.

The reason why my negs reticulated come to think of it is I subjected them
to copper toner. Toner with real copper in it. Was supposed to be an
intensifier. It for sure put the neg structure thought some major changes so
when the hot water hit it was a sitting duck.
And I was 13 or 14 when this happened.
In 1965 or 6.

--
Mark R.