Subject: [Leica] Smashed Mailbox
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:59:53 -0800

You just reminded me of an episode a month or two ago. I was
geocaching with a friend and as we drove toward the street where the
cache should be we saw a pride of cop cars and cops. We turned left,
parked, and headed to what our GPS units said was ground zero. One of
the cops said that they were conducting an operation and would be
please leave. At that moment, my partner was telling me: "The
description states it's low and near an electric utility box." The
cop pricked up his ears and got interested in us. We explain the
geocaching operation and he let us retrieve the cache which was
hanging by a thread on the other side of a masonry fence, a fence it
was hard to see through. On the other side of the fence was a power
substation and the cache was a black cylinder about two inches in
diameter and about ten inches long. After it had been there for a
week, a power station employee spotted it and called the cops. When
we showed up, the bomb squad was on the way. After we showed the cops
that it was harmless, they called off the bomb squad. We explained
that we would send a written rocket to the guy who placed that cache
and to the volunteer who reviewed and authorized it.

Herb