Subject: [Leica] Lika Drinka Leica - Bob
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:33:19 +0100 (CET)

Message du : 14/01/2012 00:05
De : "Robert Baron " <robertbaron1 at gmail.com>
A : "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
Copie ? :
Sujet : Re: [Leica] Lika Drinka Leica

==On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM, EPL  wrote:
> Weingut Josef Leitz in Ruedesheim on the Rhine, in the Rheingau region, is
> one of Germany's better wineries. Today in the hands of Johannes Leitz but
> with origins back in the 18th century, the estate owns vines in several of
> the best vineyards on the Ruedesheimer Berg, including Rottland and
> Schlossberg.
>
> The estate grows only Riesling grapes and specializes in late-harvest white
> wines, including some which are intensely sweet, although the property is
> also following the German trend towards dry wines too.
>
> The Leitz wines can sometimes be found at retail in the USA and the UK.
>
> There is apparently no connection to the Leitz family of Wetzlar. Most of
> the remaining Wetzlar Leitz descendents moved to Canada some years ago.
>
> Emanuel

The 'normal' price at the store in a suburb of Oklahoma City is
$18.99, which I don't consider particularly high for a good German
wine.

The tasting notes posted on the bin said 'dry' but as it is identified
on the label as 'riesling trocken' I assume it has a sweetness
component.

Trocken means dry Bob.
Yet "dryness is a matter of local/personal taste; I consider most German
"dry" wines as (way) too sweet, and good for the icecubes and sparkling
water treatment :-
This might be due to the addition of plain sugar, or to over-ripeness of the
grapes, depending on the producer. It fouls your taste just as Coke does. No
structure, no details, no pleasure.

A "proper", "fair" Riesling should be a highly subtle balance between sugar
(yet sweetness declines over time),  acidity (the wine keeps longer then, up
to 30 years contrary to common belief), and even sourness.
These three basic components give the wine its skeleton/backbone.
Then the place it was grown will bring in more fragances and tastes -
minerality, flowers, etc.

I bet the expert on the list should be Jean Michel who's been cruising the
Alsace region for years on, even if for other reasons.

In the meantime my tip is to buy them by the dozen and open one every two
years, unless at some point you feel it will be to late, and decide to
invite friends.

Happy tasting :-)
Philippe

--Bob