Subject: [Leica] Good photo book
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:10:28 -0700

I just bought a good book of photographs documenting the rapidly
disappearing storefronts of NYC, with interesting commentary about the
shops' history, etc.  It's laid out by neighborhood so you can ID favorite
places you might have known in the past.  My daughter recently relocated to
Brooklyn so I was particularly interested in that section of the book.  It
also helps me get a feel for the various neighborhoods, so when people talk
about SoHo or TriBeCa or Bed-Stuy I have a visual clue to the area.  I got
mine locally but it's also available online. The title is "Store Front: The
disappearing face of New York" by James and Karla Murray.  Link is here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=disappearing+new+york&sprefix=disappearing+new%2Caps%2C347

It's really well done and includes some fold-out pages with panorama views
of some blocks.  Much of the text is given to shopowners' recollections and
anecdotes, as well as neighborhood histories.  It's a bargain too,
considering how good the images and presentation are.  There's also a
larger version if you're interested in a coffee table tome, but it's
pricier.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE