Subject: [Leica] IMG: Pt. Lobos Saturday
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 06:48:33 -0800

Hi Mark,

Yes I do have tilts, but the technology today has some plusses and minuses
that I am trying a different approach to (this was very much an
experimental image).

Earlier testing proved to me that stopping down further than f16.6 caused
the image to begin to break apart; significantly noticeable. So tilt can be
tricky for keeping items above and below the focal plane, is of limited use
(but not useless at all). Additionally, the Alpa cannot use tilt at focal
lengths less than 80mm. I mistakenly put it was the 80 on the data, but it
was the 35 (still Schneider APO Digitar). There was a polarizer and center
filter attached.

So for this image I used focus blending; each of the shots of the closest
objects (about 1m away), had 3 exposures at ever increasing yet overlapping
focal points. Lets call those shots Row1, Scene Left, Exposures 1-3. Move
the back over 13mm and take 3 different focus point shots and you have
Row1, Scene Center, Exposures 1-3. The back can move over 13mm more and
repeat.
Do the same for the second row, which moves the back UP 13mm. Then for the
3rd Row only 1 focal length is required (hyper focal works out from about
4m - the beginning of infinity).

Then I used software (Helicon Focus) to blend the 3 different focus point
images at each position into 1 (after adjusting the RAW file for its
histogram and clarity). The final 9 files were stitched together with CS5;
layes to taste after that.

So the experiment was successful as far as I'm concerned. That said, no
moving objects allowed. But now I know it works and where it should be
used. AND it was a heck of a lot of fun!!
Best,
Bob