Subject: [Leica] Hard drive migration question re Lightroom
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:45:53 +0000

Hi Peter,

Making a copy of the images/catalogue won't hurt, but may not be necessary.

Are you doing an image copy of the original hard drive?

If it's a Windows machine and the drive letter is going to be the same
for the new hard disk, then Lightroom should see the files with no
intervention.

When I upgraded the 'C' drive (the one with the OS and gubbins on it) on
my old Windows XP machine, I did an image copy of the old drive to the
new drive, using an external disk caddy.  Then, when I physically
replaced the old 'C' drive with the new drive and it all came up with no
problems.

I've also done a similar thing with a Macbook.  I had to upgrade my
wife's hard drive.  In this case, I did a time machine backup of the old
disk, installed the new HDD in the Macbook, loaded the OS from the
original media then restored everything from Timemachine.
It was time consuming, but again, no issues with Lightroom.

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk