Subject: [Leica] "Approaching Storm"
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:00:04 -0800

Richard,

> Paul, how long does it take to shoot a photo like this? With 9 frames, I'd
> imagine you have to take some care into standing still, aligning the
> horizontal, thinking about the size of the sweep etc. As I understand it,
> you don't use a tripod? Any particular reasons?

This was actually a rather quick, hand-held sweep.  I did set the
exposure manually to be sure that was equal for all.  But that was
about all that I did.

In the past, with the medium format film cameras, I always use a
tripod, but I'm enjoying the speed and flexibility of hand holding the
M9 now.  This shot might have been better with a tripod, but the
clouds would have moved more, potentially introducing problems.

The shot probably would have benefited from a second exposure for each
frame to reach into the dark shadows.  But, that too would have slowed
things, and once the camera's buffer gets full, things really slow.
Anyway, the darkness seems to add to the mood, and I am not a fan of
HDR shooting.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com