Subject: [Leica] Photographic Freedom
From: gwpics at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:38:15 +0000

I don't often write about political matters, in fact I don't think I have
ever done so before but I think this is important. There is a proposed bylaw
to make the taking of any photograph for any business purpose in Parliament
Square or Trafalgar Square in London illegal unless you have written
permission of the Mayor. This will not only seriously curtail the freedom of
the press to make images of anything that happens in these two areas, be it
riots or acts of kindness, but it will also stop stock photographers making
legitimate images of iconic London landmarks such as the Houses of
Parliament, the National gallery etc.

It is a long held freedom in this country, and most other 'democratic'
countries to make images whilst on public land, and this is a serious
infringement of that right. It will aslo stop the legitimate freedom of the
press to report incidents such as any protest camp, political rally etc. etc.

I have held the belief for the whole of my life that I live in a free
country - obviously I have been wrong!

You can read a pdf of the proposed bylaw for Trafalgar Square at
http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Trafalgar%20Square%20Byelaws%202012%20signed%2025Jan12.pdf
 and I would draw your attention to Byelaw 5(1)?.

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS
+44 (0)23 8046 3076 (Office)
+44 (0)797 287 7932 (Mobile)