Subject: [Leica] Photographic Freedom
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 07:16:37 -0500

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

I wonder how they would police that in practice? E.g. I am an amateur, so I
take my pics for private
purposes, but then later decide to upload them to Alamy. How can they
prevent that?
<<<

The US National Park Service may have set a precedent when a few
over-zealous law enforcement types
assumed that professional-looking equipment means professional purposes.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

On 31 Jan, 2012, at 24:38 , Gerry Walden wrote:

> I don't often write about political matters, in fact I don't think I have
ever done so before but I think
this is important. There is a proposed bylaw to make the taking of any
photograph for any business
purpose in Parliament Square or Trafalgar Square in London illegal unless
you have written permission
of the Mayor. This will not only seriously curtail the freedom of the press
to make images of anything
that happens in these two areas, be it riots or acts of kindness, but it
will also stop stock
photographers making legitimate images of iconic London landmarks such as
the Houses of Parliament,
the National gallery etc.

> It is a long held freedom in this country, and most other 'democratic'
countries to make images whilst
on public land, and this is a serious infringement of that right. It will
aslo stop the legitimate freedom
of the press to report incidents such as any protest camp, political rally
etc. etc.

> I have held the belief for the whole of my life that I live in a free
country - obviously I have been
wrong!

> You can read a pdf of the proposed bylaw for Trafalgar Square at
http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/
default/files/Trafalgar%20Square%20Byelaws%202012%20signed%2025Jan12.pdf
and I would draw your
attention to Byelaw 5(1)???.

> Gerry
>
> Gerry Walden LRPS