Subject: [Leica] updated bw...
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:13:33 +0100

Thanks Steve for this thought-provoking picture. I agree, this is about
photography and our ability to face what is reported. There's a considerable
gap between what we see and comment - well, the theory that's behind the use
of B&W or colour, for example -  and the subject itself, and here I must say
the crude colour picture is much more powerful and direct, which is why most
of us like the B&W better because the person is "protected". Now, what is
the purpose of publishing such a picture? If the intent is to show a crude
reality and the slow downward path towards something we human beings won't
escape, probably, then colour is, for me, the best means. If the idea is to
show that this elderly person is in fact an image of ourselves, than the B&W
will be the right choice. What's hard here is that we tend to identify so
much with this person! Jean-Michel