Subject: [Leica] IMG: Predator/prey, re-processed
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:12:18 -0500

Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

All of that might segue into some local adjustment PP discussion;-) but I
don't thik that's what you asking!.
<<<

This photo, as re-worked, has 5 layers.  The exposure was set to avoid
blowing out the highlights so the shadow areas had to be brought up quite a
bit.  There are a few areas where the resulting noise was excessive (to my
taste) so I de-noised a layer and created a mask so that only the areas
where the noise was a problem would be de-noised.  I processed another
layer to bring out the buffy color in the bird's crown, and created an
adjustment layer to brighten the bird's face.

IIRC the lighting at the time was pretty close to full backlit sunlight,
just a little bit of fog diffusing the light.  Not easy to work with.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com