Subject: [Leica] The final gasp of MF film? - Unprocessed Film
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:43:19 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 George Lottermoser <imagist3 at mac.com>wrote:

>Until all of us
>who've photographed with 12x20, 11x14, 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5 film
>have passed from this earth
>please refer to 120 film as "medium" format (instead of "large") negs.

>We'll be gone soon enough.
>Then you'll be old and wow the kids with your "big" films.

>;~)

>Regards,
>George Lottermoser
===================================================================================================
I'm not in your league, George (I never shot 11x14 or larger, but did a lot
of 4x5 at work, had a 5x7 Seneca view camera that I used for about a year,
and took ONE sheet of 8x10 film with my boss's Deardorff), but your post
reminded me about my most interesting LF experience. In 1972 I was running a
darkroom in the student union, and the administrator of the facility found
out we could get access to government surplus photo equipment, so for cheap
we obtained a Fairchild F56 aerial camera with a 20" lens that took either
9" roll film or 5x7 sheets in a 12 sheet magazine similar to a Grafmatic.  I
bought a 25 sheet box of 5x7 Plus-X and shot them all wherever I could find
vistas (the lens was of course fixed at infinity).  It was a workout.  No
tripod socket and about 30 pounds of LONG camera.  But I only got around to
processing four negatives, so the rest of the exposed film has been in the
freezer ever since.

Maybe when I retire I'll get them developed.  ;~)

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu