Subject: [Leica] Two pro video guys using Canon DSLR to shoot Art Opening
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:09:31 -0500

f/2.8 is not a fast lens in motion picture.
The 5DMkII and all the DSLRs with video capability are cropped field of
view (in spite of what the manufacturers say) to something closer to
the size of a 3CCD. But with a 3CCD camera like my lowly old Canon XHA1
you get an f/1.6-3.4 lens, a 20x optical L series flourite glass zoom
with VR, no logical block jumps (after 4 minutes of rolling on a CF
card you get a jump cut when data moves to the next block in the card)
and very high quality audio with 2 phantom XLRs, amongst a host of
other very useful features. I love that camera. And it's a low end
professional or high end consumer grade tool.

There is simply no way that a DSLR can compete with the ergonomics and
the workflow of a true video camera. And ergonomically, again, the DSLR
becomes a horrible ungainly beast when you get it set up for the best
video/audio it can offer. By then you've bought more than a pro level
Canon or Sony video camera with a good shotgun mic.

Phil Forrest