Subject: [Leica] Two pro video guys using Canon DSLR to shoot Art Opening
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 23:00:14 -0500

Nikon D800 or lesser HD capable Nikon
OR
Canon 5dMkII or lesser HD capable Canon
OR
Any other HD capable device originally made to capture still images

VS.

My lowly Canon XHA1 (which is on the lower end of this pro ENG scale)
It's the one I have the most experience with and is an amazing camera
in its own right. About the $5000 price point.

And the XHA1 wins. For all the reasons that we've listed.

As for the Luminous Landscape link, that's all well and good but if you
ask ANY experienced video shooter or editor if they would rather use a
DSLR or a good HDV camera and they will all tell you they would use a
dedicated video camera. If only because the DSLR makes things harder
and this is not a time when you can jump through hoops to get what you
need.

I've only been doing it since 2008 for school but if someone offers me
a choice of using a shiny new D800 or a HDV cam that runs about $5000
(or a $250 rental for the weekend) I'm taking the HDV because I like
the way they work. I like using my own mics and lavaliers or renting
quality gear that I know works. You try getting the aural response of
my low end Beyer shotgun mic (costs almost as much as a new Summarit
35) in anything you can hook up to a DSLR. Sorry.

You should actually try doing some video shooting and editing instead of
reading about it.

Phil Forrest

--
philforrest.wordpress.com