Subject: [Leica] How to photograph a safari
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 08:11:27 +0530

Greg,
Thanks for the link - lovely slideshow, but I have to take issue with
parts of the article.

I disagree completely with the writer's recommendation to carry a
monopod, I have found anything but a beanbag useless, especially if
you are shooting from Toyota Landcruisers or Nissan Patrols in Africa,
where you primarily shoot from the roof of the vehicle. It might be of
very minimal use from Landrovers, which have larger openings at seat
level, provided you have a vehicle all to yourself!

Secondly, Henning and Howard were shooting away with lightweight Lumix
bodies and 100-300 lenses (200-600 in 35mm terms) in Kenya last time,
which would be a much better choice for the average safari goer, maybe
even an all-in-one camera like the Nikon P500. Unless you are
committed to wildlife photography, the weight gets you down - I am
leaving for Tanzania tonight, and my hand baggage must be a muscle
wrenching 15 kilos or so.

Patience is essential in most forms of photography, so why should this
be different? Of course, in the open grasslands of the Mara far less
patience is required than in the forests of India...(-:

Cheers
Jayanand