Subject: [Leica] Two pro video guys using Canon DSLR to shoot Art Opening
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:43:55 -0500

I read a book when I was a young lad of 35 in the mid 1980's: Masters of
Light Conversations With Contemporary Cinematographers Author: Dennis
Schaefer, Larry Salvato
There were 15 of the best ones in there. I read it cover to cover. I did
learn more about still photography from this book than I did learn from most
books I'd read on still photography. Its always what you don't think.
One point they made was that a Cinematographers favorite f stop was f 5.6.
And they are happy campers when they get to use f 5.6 and much less happy
when they are not. As they hate like hell to miss their focus.
So I wondered how much wide open shooting they did.
But with an .9 Swiss lens I'd hope it was some.

I shot Kodachrome with a Bolex 160 Macro Zoom in the mid 70's. Super 8.
With a Paillard-Bolex Zoom f: 1.9 \ F: 8.5-30 mm lens
 Webster College had a few of them.
http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_bolex/bolex_160.htm
Which had the widest focusing range ever built into a zoom lens.
Like one inch to infinity.

--
Mark R.