Subject: [Leica] New Lens
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:51:39 -0600

Aram,

Here is the issue with the digital "Holga" lenses.  I have several
Holga's,  with the cameras converted to 6x6cm instead of 6x4.5.  The
Holga lenses are randomly sharp and soft.  The digital substitutes are
just soft all over.  The digital pinhole lenses fail because the best
pinhole images are very wide, not possible with an SLR pinhole lens
(cap) which is about 50mm.  It should be 15mm or so.   If you like the
Holga and pinhole images, as do I, I would just get a Holga, take the
6.45 plate off so it is 6x6 and scan the negs.  Same with pinhole, you
can buy a Leonardo 4x5 ultrawide for not that much.

Here is an image from an ultrawide 8x10, with the camera just a short
distance behind the 4x5 camera shown:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/sunset.jpg.html

Ken