Subject: [Leica] Advise or impressions on panoramic cameras / photography?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:56:28 -0800

Well, Vick got my Xpan.

I still do panoramics:

6x12 back on 4x5 (Xpan steroidally)
Horizon 202 - the Widelux improved
Noblex 150U - what the Widelux wished it could be when it grew up
Roundshot 28/220 - make me one with EVERYTHING

I used to have a couple of Widelux's from the 60's until the late 80's. They
were fun when they worked, but they often streaked and weren't as much fun
as they should have been. I'd dry fire mine for at least 50 shots before I
loaded any film; then they were good for a roll shot within a couple of
hours.

The Horizon 202 is like a badly built Widelux, but it works. Most need to be
adjusted and lubricated after you buy them, but then they are the best way
to get into panoramics. Inexpensive, fun and quite reliable.

The Noblex are the pinnacle of the 130? rotating lens cameras. The 150's
take 120 film, the 135's 35mm. The better ones also have a bit of lens
shift, and some like the U have long shutter speeds, but that isn't really
necessary, as you can set them to multiple exposure and just let the drum
rotate 30 times at 1/30s to get your 1 sec exposure. Takes just as long as
with the slow speed module. Outstanding lens; a wonderful camera. I
understand (but have never used) that the 35mm model (135U) is just as good.

The Roundshots are full panoramic cameras. On the 28/220 you add your own
28mm lens, preferable a Schneider or Nikon 28PC and feed it 220 film. Then
you set the degree of rotation in 45? increments up to 720?. For full
rotation pictures I usually set it to 405 or 450?, so I can pick my start
and end points later. This camera is better than the Noblex for 'decisive
moment' as it has good startup torque and starts taking the picture
immediately. The Noblex uses the first half rotation to get to a constant
speed, which is thereafter excellent.

The 6x12 backs on 4x5, such as the Horseman 6x12 on Cambo Wide hand cameras
is of course instantaneous as it's not scanning, and is like the Xpan in
that. Lenses in many focal lengths are available. On the Xpan I mostly used
the 30mm, which is a little narrower angle of view than the 47mm Super
Angulon XL which is my most used lens on the 6x12. I also have a 65/4.5 and
a 35/4.5, the latter being really wide.

I find the Cambo and 6x12 almost as quick to use as the Xpan with 30mm,
which is part of the reason I sold the latter. The main problem is that 6x12
only gives you 6 shots on one 120 roll.

If you go really wide, there are three types of distortion that you run in
to. The first, seen on the Xpan, 21mm and lower lenses on 35, and on the
6x12 on Cambo Wide is the usual distortion of 3 dimensional objects in the
corners, but you do get straight lines staying straight (from a good lens).
The second is the distortion from a rotating lens camera like the Widelux,
Noblex or Roundshot. As long as the camera is level with the horizon, you
only have curved horizontal lines off the horizon. Vertical stay straight
and vertical.

If you want more in your picture in one shot, you go to fisheyes and then
get the curved lines on everything off the central axes.

If you want to do handheld panoramics in poorer light, the Horizon is good
as it has a decent f/2.8 lens. The Xpan has a 45/4 and then if you want
wider, a 30mm f/5.6 which needs a centre filter which takes another 1 1/2
stops, so effectively your maximum aperture is t/8-11. The rotating lens
cameras don't need centre filters as they only need to cover a thin line
along the short side of the film at any one time.

If timing isn't as important, digital and PS is the way to go now. You even
have your choice of projection.

Henning