Subject: [Leica] S2 vs. 645D
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 20:59:33 -0800

The thing is the 645D is not just half priced of the S2, but that it's an
alternative. In the film days, you have Leica M, and Nikon, Canon, Olympus,
Pentax, Minolta etc. that were half price or less than the Leica.

In the medium format digital world, you have tech cameras with the digital
back like Alpa, Cambo with Leaf or Phase One back, or you have Hasselblad H
or Leica S2. The Pentax 645D is just a relatively new alternative in that
slowly moving world. There's nothing else. You don't buy Pentax and aspire
to own an S2 one way or switch to Alpa the other. You'd buy a Pentax 645D
to shoot.

If I can finagled $11K, I'd buy the Pentax 645D in a heartbeat. There were
some naysayers about the Epson R-D1 too, but I ended up shooting digital
with my M lens since 2005 and continue to this day with the M9. If I
waited, that's 10,000 less frames I have shot with the M lens. And everyone
comparing the sensors see that all of the medium format sensor are far
outclass the dSLR ones with little difference in between. In all come down
to the camera style (tech vs. SLR) and user interface and handling.

I will have to check the mirror noise though. I don't shoot wildlife
generally and I certainly probably will not shoot street with a big honking
645D, so it may not matter much.

All a pipe dream for now though.

--

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] S2 vs. 645D)