Subject: [Leica] Biogon SWC (lack of) distortion
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 06:46:05 -0500

I think for every example one can dig up with search engine finesse of a
Mamiya 67 43 Biogon one can easily find a 100 flawless images taken with a
43 Biogon in a Hasselblad Superwide (SWC) on any search engine just by
lifting your pinky finger. You don't really have to look they are
everywhere. Just from the simple fact that so many Superwides have been made
and then used by so many good photographers going back to the 1950's. Again
its a legacy.

On the other point while the Mamiya reeks with cheap mechanical build ( it
just comes off like a cheap camera) the Superwide comes off very much as
just the opposite. Its a gorgeous example of premium workmanship and design.
There really is no overlap between these two camera concepts. They are like
day and night.
A plus the Mamiya 7 has amazingly is they still for the time being they at
least actually still claim make them. Offset by the fact that while
Superwides are not now being made new I'd not think they have been
ubiquitous in any used camera department or rental for many many decades.
They are a tried and respected classic photographic tool.
They're not going to run out of spare parts.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/