Subject: [Leica] ipad3
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:58:30 +1000

Frank, possibly you are referring to the low quality preview thumbnail
embedded within the DNG?
The image program in your tablet/Mac/PC still needs to understand the raw
data and format to be able to show that.
You can optionally set the M9 to save the image as a JPEG instead of DNG or
as well as a DNG. Those will still be at the full resolution of the
sensor but of variable quality. That is what Gene suggested in an earlier
post I think.
 When you import your DNG files with your Raw Converter (such as Lightroom)
you see those thumbnail previews initially but LR can optionally make new
medium or full quality previews for you. With editing, those will get
updated in the background at some point.

You might know too that DNG is a true raw format but in any case, Lightroom
or Adobe Camera Raw does not alter any original image including a JPEG
when you edit it. The edit instructions are  only recorded. So you can
actually make or unmake edits to JPEG files in those programs with no
penalty and no resaving which is where you can lose further information.
You can choose to save a new version of the file which does have the edits
applied of course.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman