Subject: [Leica] What would you take to Peru?
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:47:21 -0400

Sonny -

The battery issue is more the sudden change from 3 bars to dead than the
life! :-)

The M9 was tempting a month or so ago when they started  being "demo-ed" out
by a major dealer (used, 5 exposures, $1,000 off MAP) - and because
(arguably) it would give me back a 21mm lens.  This "demo" thing is exactly
what happened right before the M9 was released, which makes me think
something more interesting is on the way.

But the M9 has never been as much of a price issue as it has been an issue
of doubling down on a system where your only way of shooting in low light is
tied up in heavy, expensive primes that deliver unpleasantly little depth of
field.  Some people like to work like that.  I don't like the look of most
pictures shot at f/1.4 - compared to, say, f/2.8 - which is possible on
higher-ISO machines like the X100 or D700.  I have had basically the same
set of lenses for 12 years - and I figure that until Leica improves in the
ISO department, I'll probably just keep on trucking with my M8 or mounting
them to an X-Pro or a NEX.

Dante