Subject: [Leica] 50mm ZM C-Sonnar
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 04:02:14 -0400

Really? ZM vs Zeiss semantics in a LUGger's For Sale post? That's BS
Mark. The glass is every bit as good as the best Zeiss designs and the
50mm Sonnar shows it. All the Zeiss offerings do. Before this current
iteration of Zeiss it was Kyocera who had dominion over the company.
Some lenses were made in Germany (as some of the current stable are as
well) and those lenses for Contax SLR mount were absolutely top class
designs and implementations.
They aren't just ZM lenses. ZM is specifically for Leica M mount. they
have also been made for Nikon S mount, Nikon F mount, Pentax K mount,
Canon EOS mount and I may have missed one or two off the top of my head.
If it's not Zeiss glass as you claim how does a 21mm or 28mm ZM lens
perform at the same level or better than the current Leica designs?
"Zeiss" glass doesn't matter in that case. It could be plastic Holga
glass for all the people who actually make photographs with their
lenses care over those pontificating about how Leica or old
Zeiss or Schneider or whoever's lenses were the best.

There IS a known though insignificant issue with some of the ZM lenses
wobbling inside their focusing helicoids. Like Chris said, it can be
taken care of with damping grease. Aside from that little handling
issue, the ZM line is equal to the Leica offerings
aperture-for-aperture. Give them a try if you can stomach it, you may
like them.

Phil Forrest

--
philforrest.wordpress.com