Subject: [Leica] 50mm ZM C-Sonnar
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:30:33 -0400

I don't belong to the LUG because of gear, I belong because of the
people. If they shoot Leica, fine. If not, fine. This is a community of
extremely talented and very wise individuals that I can learn from. I
don't care what anyone shoots with. Ted or Tina or Doug or Jayanand, or
Frank or B.D. or Luis or Phillippe or Nathan or Richard M. or WHOEVER
could be shooting with a crappy cell phone and I would still take their
advice to heart because the gear_doesn't_matter.

There is always something better than the best. Then there is always
something bigger
than the best and the axiom in photography is that bigger is better. If
Leica were the best then why aren't we shooting with 20x24" cameras?

See, it's just prancing one-upsmanship but the image speaks for itself.
Yes, Leica lenses are fantastic but they can be matched by other brands
as has been shown. Some are worse than others. I love Leica lenses
which is why I'll never get rid of my DR Summicron. That doesn't mean
that it's absolutely the best out there.

If I should spend $5000 on a Spotmatic F with a 50mm f/1.4 I would
indeed have an amazing camera with one of the finest lenses but to
spout off that it's the best because I spent so much money would make
me a fool. It's perceived value rather like diamonds. A rather common
elemental crystal given perceived value by a human controlling factor.

Looking through all my old film images I can't tell which ones were
taken with Pentax, Contax, Nikon, Canon or Leica. I happen to know
which ones but others couldn't tell in a side-by-side comparison.

Phil Forrest