Subject: [Leica] IMG: Public Utility Modernization
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:58:23 -0400

I saw a teaser for a news story about the incredibly ignorant and Ludditish
reaction on the part of utility customers in, I think, Las Vegas, to the
proposed introduction of "smart" utility meters that can be read from the
street using RF technology. There was a woman going on ever-so-earnestly
about "unknown long-term effects" of this technology?i.e., milliseconds of
low-power radio transmission emanating from outside the house once a month
street. From someone who probably has a cell phone applied to her ear
several hours a day, likely a home wi-fi network, etc etc etc. And some old
geezer who thundered that he'd leave town if the utilities installed one on
his house because he wasn't going to have them collecting information on
what time of day he uses how much gas and electricity.

?howard