Subject: [Leica] IMG: Public Utility Modernization
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:15:08 -0500

Hi Howard,

There are some of those here, also.  They say these meters would be an
invasion of their privacy.  According to the local paper, the utility
company is going to establish an opt-out option, but will charge an extra
$50 per month for that option.  I haven't seen a final resolution of this
disagreement, but such a cost, if legal, should get the attention of those
customers.

When I was in the wind tunnel business, we worked closely with TVA and
planned our operations to fit high power demands into the lower-cost power
periods.  This type of thing is  more or less normal planning in my mind.
TVA is about to start billing utilities based on time of day of power use,
so the new meters actually allow customers to plan their higher power
activities at the cheapest time of day, once those periods are announced.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA