Subject: [Leica] 100mm/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit on D700/D3/other Nikon FX (or aDX) DSLR
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:36:24 -0700

Hi John.  I use the 100 APO on a D7000, not the D700.  But it is a awesome
lens.  I don't think you can do better for Macro work.  I would imagine it
would be a gem even on an FX body.  It I sharp across the frame, and snappy.
Only problems are the same that plague anyone using any manual non-Nikon
lens.  Stop down metering, and no Autofocus, but for Macro, autofocus would
probably be turned off on a Nikkor lens, anyway.  I had previously use it,
and other lenses on Canon, but the problems with metering Leica glass on
Canon bodies finally got too much, so in switching to Nikon, the metering
problems are much more manageable.  The focusing issue is the same with all
manual lenses.  Focus wide open or close to wide open, then stop down to the
desired f-stop.  The focus conformation light is your best guide.  On Canon,
you also had an audible beep, which was a real help.  The D7000 does not
give a beep when in focus, so you have to glance to the bottom of the view
screen to see the green dot light up.  I miss the beep as it allowed you to
check focus w/o loosing sight of your subject, so shooting some action was
easier with the Canon.

Hope this helps.  If you want to do macro, I would not hesitate to adapt
this lens.  And I just bought some cheep adapters from FleaBay.  I have been
using them for over a year, over 10,000 photos on the D7000, and not
problems with them. They still look new and are rock solid.

Aram