Subject: [Leica] When a Biogon is no match for THE Biogon
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 01:25:05 -0400

Also, look at the old 35mm f2.8 biogon, the one made in the 1930s, and the
Soviet copy of it, the Jupiter 12. Compare them to the modern ZM C-Biogon
35mm f2.8

Here's a page with good photos of the Jupiter 12.
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/jupiter12

I have the ZM C-Biogon. The rear element is smaller in diameter and does
not stick into the camera nearly as far. I've handled a J-12 and the real
element is gigantic and nearly touches the shutter of a Leica! It fits and
works, but barely! The new ZM C-Biogon leaves more room behind the lens,
so it'll be compatible with the Zeiss Ikon M-mount camera and the
Voigtlander Bessa cameras made by Cosina, whose metal shutters would be
hit by the rear of the old lens design.

The ZM one has to be retrofocus for it to stick less far inside the
camera. It is not as strongly retrofocus as 35mm lenses for SLRs have to
be, but it is retrofocus.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography