Subject: [Leica] When a Biogon is no match for THE Biogon
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:10:08 -0400

On Apr 06, 2012 at 02:25 PM +0930, Marty Deveney wrote:
>Inevitable; the ZM "Biogons" are retrofocus lenses, after all.  But
>they display less of the bad sides of symmetrical wides, including
>vignetting less, and they actually clear the mirror or shutter of most
>cameras you can use them on.

If you guys are interested, check out pages 9-10 of this pdf by Zeiss.
They talk a bit about this stuff and how the ZM lenses show that there
are 'degrees' of design between full symmetric lenses and full
retrofocus.  The ZM biogons (and probably lots of Leica's newer lenses)
can probably be thought of as a cross between the two, but they still
share many of the characteristics of symmetric lenses.

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/en_CLB41_Nasse_LensNames_Distagon.pdf>

Also, the bit about entrance and exit pupils on page 11 is interesting.
I quote:

> With symmetric lenses, the entrance and exit pupils are the same size;
> this is the case for the old Biogon lenses as well as the Planar types
> for the rangefinder camera. The Biogon types slightly modified for TTL
> metering display slight asymmetry of the pupil ratio.

I can confirm that my ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5 exit and entrance pupils are
pretty much the same size.  It does have a larger back focus distance
than the original and the lens element diagram doesn't look that
symmetrical (unlike the original), but it has very little distortion,
has equal sized entrance/exit pupils, Zeiss calls it a Biogon, a lot of
vignetting, and it has the poor performance of a symmetrical lens on
many digitals.  Does it have some retrofocus 'genes' as Zeiss says?
Probably.  But it if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks
like a duck...

I guess my point is that very few lenses stick with the pure designs of
the original Biogon, Planar, etc.  Also, too, the Zeiss pdf is an
interesting read.

P.S. - the bit about entrance/exit pupils might give a clue as to why
Zeiss named the ZM 85/2 a Sonnar.  Maybe not - I've never seen one in
real life, much less looked at the pupil sizes.

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] When a Biogon is no match for THE Biogon)
Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest) ([Leica] When a Biogon is no match for THE Biogon)
Message from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] When a Biogon is no match for THE Biogon)