Subject: [Leica] The BEST Happy Birthday LUG pictures ever.
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 21:10:31 -0700

Thank you, Richard. Nice pictures, delicious cheesecake, and nice sentiments.

> http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20120409-L1010031.jpg

The server that I'm touching is the current (4th generation) LUG server. I
put it into service in February 2008 and already it's begging for
replacement. It uses a quad-core Westmere Xeon 5160 chip with a Passmark
rating of 1968, has 16GB of RAM, a truckload of disks on a 3ware RAID
controller having 2 GB/s transfer rate, and occupies 4 units of rack space
(a 4U chassis).

The 5 1U servers above it are a few months old and sport Xeon E3-1270 8-core
processors with a Passmark rating of 9107, also 16GB of RAM, but use an
Intel SSD-320 solid-state disk as the system drive and have a single 2TB
SCSI-3 disk with 6 GB/s transfer.  They are about 10 times faster, use 1/3
the electricity, and occupy 1/4 of the rack space. Oh, and they are quieter.

The current server is begging for replacement because I foolishly built it
with hardware RAID (a 3ware card) and a gaggle of disks. I've had to replace
the 3ware card and this second one is already misbehaving. I've learned that
hardware RAID is a bad idea and that by using it you are creating a single
point of catastrophic failure.

The first LUG server was a Microvax II in a BA123 enclosure that sounded
like a jet engine, used 600 watts, and struggled to support 50 LUG emails
per day.

Like Kyle Cassidy (remember him?) used to say here, "Keep pressing that
shutter button. It will get unstuck". Not that digital camera shutter
buttons ever get stuck...

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] The BEST Happy Birthday LUG pictures ever.)