Subject: [Leica] OT: Network Backup
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:10:11 -0400

On Apr 14, 2012, at 13:56, Akhil Lal wrote:
> Just got an HP  N40L microserver to use for network backup and am trying to
> decide between WHS 2008 and FreeNAS.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

I don't know about WHS 2008 but FreeNAS 8.03, which is what I am running,
takes a bit of fiddling. If you are fine with that, give FreeNAS a try. 8.2
should be out soon.

Using a low power CPU, AMD E35, I can get about 70 MB/s over NFS.

One of the advantage of using FreeNAS 8 is that is can act as a Time Machine
backup disk for my Mac so I don't need to buy Apple's Time Capsule (even
though I have one).

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] OT: Network Backup)