Subject: [Leica] IMG: Friday Duck
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:56:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

George Lottermoser wrote:

>On Apr 20, 2012, at 9:18 AM, wildlightphoto at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> There are some flowers in the background too:
>>
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/citeal02.html
>>
>> technical stuff: R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt, an old blue truck.
>> All comments welcome.
>
>Beautiful work - as always.
>
>Can you tell us how you find handling the 560
>on the Novoflex as compared to the Leica sliding mount?

The short answer: not until I procure a backup copy ;)

The longer answer: The Novoflex has several advantages (for the way I use
it) and a couple of disadvantages.

Advantages (pertains to the PIGRIFF-C focussing grip, the most common model
used with the 560mm Telyt):

the squeeze grip focussing is much easier to use when I'm wedged into an
awkward position or laying prone on the ground.  The Cinnamon Teal photo was
made out the window of the truck; it seems birds all know that the most
comfortable angle for me is looking out the side window clear of the side
mirror, so they do their best to stay where the mirror blocks my view.
Resting the end of the lens on the mirror then aiming the lens at the bird
puts the camera's viewfinder too high above my face to put my eye up to the
viewfinder.  With the Leica sliding grip my hold on the lens is too tenuous
and the angle wrong to focus easily.  With the Novoflex grip it's much
easier to focus with my eye farther way from the viewfinder.

The shoulder stock and tripod mount are separate, so instead of attaching
the monopod to the shoulder stock I attach the monopod to the lens.  The
pivot axis of the monopod's tilt head is closer to the lens+camera center of
gravity so it balances better and I can also use the shoulder stock while
using the lens on a tripod.  I also have more range of tilt motion with the
Novoflex.

The Novoflex has a built-in variable-length extension tube.  If I leave the
extension tube's lock allowing a little slip I can push-pull to change the
focussing range and it will stay where I want it.  The minimum focus
distance is about 12' at maximum extension.

The Novoflex's lock for camera rotation (for vertical format photos) is at a
very handy location where one or more fingers of my right hand can push it
w/o taking my hand away from the shutter release.  This is especially handy
when I'm stuck in one of those awkward positions and I want the horizon to
be close to level.

The Novoflex focussing action doesn't bind if the head isn't balanced
precisely by the focussing hand.

When I'm working inside a blind my focussing hand is behind the tripod out
of sight, instead of outside the blind.

The Novoflex can be adapted to fit almost any 35mm-format camera.  Novoflex
still makes the adapters.

Disadvantages:

The squeeze grip's focusing range is limited compared with the Leica sliding
tube arrangement.  The variable-length extension tube compensates for this.

It's heavier and bulkier than the Leica version, and it looks more like a
lethal weapon.  I haven't tried going through airport security with it yet.

Parts and repairs are probably non-existant.

The Novoflex has a forward grip with a shutter release that can be
configured to use either a mechanical cable or an electrical cable to
connect to the camera.  The lens was discontinued long before the DMR became
available so there's no pre-made cable for my camera, but the connection
plugs are common and I'm working on making a cable.  The forward grip
interferes with monopod or tripod range of motion but it can be rotated out
of the way when not used hand-held (very slick mechanical design IMHO).

The Novoflex can't be adapted to fit the Visoflex and retain infinity focus.
 Novoflex used to offer a service where the would shorten the barrel to
allow infinity focus on the Visoflex but it appears they no longer want
anything to do with the follow-focus units.  Perhaps a good machinist (DAG?
Sherry?) could do this.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com