Subject: [Leica] Doisneau, Riboud, Boubat, Ronis
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:24:26 -0400

Mindful that I'm opening a can of worms and the kind of discussion
that I don't often see in this forum, would the various posters be up
to the task of identifying (links appreciated) their favorite images
by Doisneau, Riboud, Boubat, Ronis? I ask for several reasons, but the
most important seems to be a world view shared by their images and the
LUG members who like them, namely that life, if caught at the right
moment, is carefree, happy and soulful, and that the common man, and,
indeed all men, caught at the right moment has beauty, nobility, and
innocence. I call this entrenched optimism, Ted uses the words "people
in real life on the street" and Gerry feels that they capture [sic]
"the soul, without [which] we are lost." Doesn't real life entail much
more than these images show? Is there something about photography
(street and/or Leica photography in particular) that lends itself to
portraying life in this way? Finally, is it possible for photography
to capture other aspects of the lives of people on the street ... and
still be great photography?

-Lew S

Replies: Reply from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Doisneau, Riboud, Boubat, Ronis)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Doisneau, Rebound, Boubat, Ronis)