Subject: [Leica] Doisneau, Riboud, Boubat, Ronis
From: gcr910 at gmail.com (Greg Rubenstein)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:52:38 -0500

Hi, Mark:

Quick comment on your remark:

<< I can't imagine how a street photographer is going to be influenced
by a fashion photographer. >>

You know your photo history, so apologies in advances if I'm being pedantic.

Bourdin brought the street and story telling to fashion photography.
See fashion photographers today  obviously copying him and some street
shooters trying to capture his moments (think, for example, the
disembodied lady blocked by a street lamp but fancy shoes visible on
each side; know I've tried to catch such a shot on the run). Same with
the reflections and ambiguities some street shooters create.
Regardless of whether they are "names," they're borrowing a style,
consciously or unconsciously -- at least to my eyes.

And to use your verbiage, it was a curveball I felt like throwing.
Sometimes the pitch catches the corner. Sometimes it misses.

Hope you're well.

Greg Rubenstein

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Doisneau, Riboud, Boubat, Ronis)