Subject: [Leica] Tripods
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 04:46:57 -0400

Another way to do it is to buy it and if it doesn't feel right then get
another one. Or as is done now TRADE it in for another one.
Me I have a dozen tripods and heads give or take
The tripod I got for my 4x5 I don't use for my 4x5.
I use it for my 35mm.
My lightest weight tripod I use for my Hasselblad.
As I use it waist level.
In a million years I'd never have predicted that.
I discovered that what ever I thought I needed I needed the opposite. But I
didn't trade stuff in I just got other stuff.
Its really great to have a choice when you are off to do a certain project.
But if I was getting one tripod and  head I'd wait till I was able to do
that hands on.
Its a hands on choice.
In Portland there was a store just a few minutes from me called Pro Photo.
They ahead all kinds of heads I brought my camera in. it has a population of
583,776 and is the 29th biggest city in the us of a. there are at least one
other camera store Citizens where I'd have a nice choice as well though not
quite as nice.
Otherwise you're getting stuff you really wont like or really wont be ideal
for you. And then your saying baloney like "35mm photography is not about
tripod use its hand held only". " I know! I tried it! It didn't do much for
me"
The head is a way more personal and important thing than a tripod. Its your
interface between your camera and your tripod.
But the tripod has to be steady at eye level. And that is way high up in the
air for such an object as a camera. Which is heavy and has to be rock
steady. IN USE.
If you are crouching over to use a camera on your tripod maybe you got a
tripod which does not even go high enough then again your going "35mm
photography is not about tripod use its hand held only" again.
The advantage of a light tripod is its light.
The advantage of heavy a tripod is its heavy.
A heavy tripod is way more steady. But it makes you want to leave it at
home. A light tripod you're more likely to have with your so you can take
rickety pictures.
Its always what you don't think.
I'd save up for some airplane fuel.
And not buy it on eBay.
Its a personal item. Like a wallet. Or an electric razor for your nose hair.
Looking at a tripod head design does not tell you if you are going to like
working with it or not. Nor will reading reviews. Same with tripods but not
as bad.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/