Subject: [Leica] FS: Custom 70th Anniversary M4-P, SuperWide 4x5
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:08:46 -0400

I know it's early to post a for sale but I got called to NYC for an
interview tomorrow and I'll probably be away from a computer for the
duration of the LUG FS Friday.

For sale:
My very recently completely overhauled 70th Anniversary M4-P.
This camera is a beautiful Frankenstein's creation that is the smoothest
Leica I've ever used.

When I received it last summer the finder was foggy and winding was
gritty so I sent it to Youxin for a CLA. He removed the haze and the
finder is amazingly bright. He also removed the 135mm framelines. The
grittiness was still there and he said he would repair it when the
shutter failed as the original chassis was worn out. Shutter failed a
few months ago.

He replaced the whole shutter chassis with a very
smooth one from a Leica MDa and now the camera is simply amazing.
Incredibly quiet and smooth.

Cosmetically, there are a few scratches on the back of the top plate
and light wear on the bottom plate. Sides of the top plate show the
normal bright marks from straps. Sides of the back door have paint worn
off. It pains me to sell but I have to in order to pay some bills.

Here are the details of the changes made:
-Winder lever changed to M2 style
-Rewind knob changed to M4 type (vs M4-P type)
-Back door changed to
M2/M4 type with rotating film reminder
-Shutter chassis changed to MDa/(M4) type
NOTE: As the shutter chassis is an MDa/M4 type, it does
not have provision for a hot shoe or a winder. (MDa shoe was added in
place of the M4-P shoe and the camera is without a serial number aside
from the 70th Anniversary #I067)
-135mm framelines removed from the 35/135 pair (like an M2 now)
-Red dot removed and whole camera recovered with Aki Asahi leather.
-Leica M strap included.

This camera just returned from repair at Youxin Ye's 2 weeks ago.
I have had the pleasure of putting 3 rolls through it and it pains me to
let it go. This is basically the configuration of my dream Leica. Like
an MP without a meter.

I'm asking $1,200. OBO.
Shipping is included in CONUS. Fully insured with signature confirmation.
International shipping will be calculated according to buyer's location.

*******************

Also for sale is my homemade SuperWide 4x5.
This camera was my personal labor of love for a year.

It is made of a section of user Crown Graphic that was given to me as a gift
after I returned from Iraq in 2005.
I cut the camera in half (making it half as deep as the original) and made a
support board for a focusing helical then stuck a 65mm f/8 Schneider Super
Angulon on the end of the helical.

The camera body is stripped down and unfinished wood from the Crown Graphic.
The T&G construction is very nice in the corners. Lens guards for the front
are galvanized 3/8"x3" U-Bolts so it looks very utilitarian.

The lens was cleaned and Syncro Compur shutter overhauled with a new
mainspring last year. It functions flawlessly. The optics are perfect. No
haze, scratches, fungus.

Currently there is no viewfinder. This lens on 4x5 closely approximates the
field of view of a 21mm lens.
Due to the restrictions on the helical construction, there is a very small
amount of mechanical vignetting in the corners.

Camera back is a Graflex Spring back with the frame brushed clean to show
the aluminum.
I was going to paint the camera black but liked the contrast of materials.

I have about 60 hours of work in the body construction and months of
planning, materials gathering and lens maintenance done over the course
of a year. Sad to see this one go as well.

Details:
-65mm f/8 Super Angulon lens in Syncro Compur shutter. Excellent optical and
operational condition.
-Helical is the body of a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor.
-Lens board/support is a 52mm screw-in metal lens cap.
-Single bubble level on top aligned to level around the axis of the lens.
Additional level can be easily added before I ship if desired.
-Graflex spring back (not a Graflock.) Ground glass in good condition.
-1/4" standard tripod mount on bottom and left side.
-Cut down Heavystar 49mm wide hood serves as a lens hood. Plastic cap for
the front element (fits with hood off.)

Asking $750.
Shipping included in CONUS. Fully insured with tracking and signature
confirmation. International shipping will be calculated.

I may be willing to bargain a little on price or do trades for a very few
specific items:
Exc Rigid Summicron or user V3 50mm 'Cron or 400 foot bulk film loader.

I also have a stack of Leica magazines about 5-6" thick that someone
can take for the cost of postage.

Thanks all,
Phil Forrest

--