Subject: [Leica] Kalyan Varma Talk
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 21:34:31 +0530

Tina,Gerry,

That surely applies to any profession? If I dispensed free investment
advice, am I denying fees to other advisers? In fact, I have never charged
for investment advise in my whole career, the payback used to come in the
form of fees as grateful clients transacted business through my firm.
Again, if a doctor treats patients for free, is he guilty of robbing other
doctors of their livelihood? The examples can go on and on.

In my opinion, anyone has a right to do what he deems fit with what he
owns. He is not asking you to give yours away for free, is he? I will tell
you, it has worked wonders for him - he is almost 100% occupied with four
long term (2-3 years) BBC/NatGeo projects right now, surely amongst the
best places to work for a Wildlife Photographer. Remember this is a young
man, my son's age, (he is now 32) who chucked up a lucrative career with
Yahoo to do what he wanted to do.

In other words, I disagree with your views totally. In my view, most
photographers are just not savvy enough to keep abreast of a market that is
changing rapidly, stoked by the internet and social media, similar to the
churn the music or the film industry is undergoing at present. If their
business parameters do not evolve with the times, it is going to leave them
stranded, looking like dinosaurs, clutching at business models that are in
tatters. Some, of course, will manage the change and do very well indeed...

Cheers
Jayanand