Subject: [Leica] IMG: Exploring Higher ISO Values
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 11:07:23 +0200 (CEST)

My printer these days is Blurb. A single print is nice, a book is nicer.

As Ted said, to each his own.

Cheers,
Nathan

Op Do, 3 mei, 2012 11:04, schreef Mark Rabiner:
> Is a jpeg a photograph?
> In my opinion close but no cigar.
> Its thinking hard about being a photograph. But its waiting for someone to
> hit the command P combination.
> I am used to thinking of photography as a means to make photographs.
>  A Jpeg is a kind of a photograph wanabee. And is fine for most peoples
> photo needs. Me I didn't stop loving making photographs just because I
> went
> digital. And If I don't get my new printer working this week I'm in real
> trouble as I have a deadline for a print. I hope the damn printer works.
>
> - - from my iRabs.
> Mark Rabiner
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/
>

>> From: Ted Grant <tedgrant at shaw.ca>
>> Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 21:34:12 -0700
>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: Exploring Higher ISO Values
>>
>> Hi Crew,
>> I never relate to making prints, other than I like looking at prints
>> simply
>> because that has been what photography has always been right out of the
>> wet
>> trays! :-)
>>
>> If I happen to shoot stuff on the top end ASA or ISO? I always make a
>> print
>> just to see what it looks like in print. The screen isn't any different
>> than
>> looking down into the tray at an image in the fix or wash tray. Better
>> of
>> course when it's dry for final approval, if one wants a keeper.
>>
>> But since digital. If what I like on screen, it's automatic to make an
>> 8.5X11 print And if I feel it's "REAL COOL?"  I make another print quite
>> often 13X19. Although I have been for a bit been printing 11X17's.  A
>> nce
>> kind of feel much like an 11X14! :-)
>>
>> It's the feel in ones hands as you hold it and it feels and looks good
>> or
>> you tear it up and re-cycle!
>>
>> But constantly on screen only???? Not on your life! A print in hand is
>> worth
>> far more than 12 on the screen! Regardless of subject!
>>
>> By the same token I will admit quite openly, SWMBO my dear Irene, always
>> chastised me for making prints just to look at!  Then throwing them
>> away!
>> :-)
>>
>>  But do you know what?  It's really too each his own! I just love
>> looking at
>> a print as it illustartes the " GOOD,BAD AND UGLY!" in my abilities and
>> how
>> I see the world about me.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Dr. ted  :-)

>>> printing to disk. Like we used to call it in the early Mac days with
>>> text
>>> capture and so on. You hit one key combination it went to your printer.
>>> Another and it went to your hard disk.
>>>
>>> I will say that just rating and tweaking a raw file does not give me
>>> that
>>> feeling. I like to save a copy as a Photoshop file at least. But saving
>>> it
>>> as a jpeg the important thing is not that I have a jpeg rated five
>>> stars
>>> on
>>> my hard disk; but that people are seeing it. On the Lug gallery and
>>> other
>>> places. That to me is completing my workflo circle and is like having a
>>> print in a box in my side bag to show people at a Starbucks. Or a bus