Subject: [Leica] Leica Monochrome
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 23:34:16 -0400

Minimum wage these days isn't enough to even eat more than once a day
on. It used to be closer to something one could live on but not now.
Add to that the fact that I don't really want to wait 30 years to get
my career going because I'll be 66 then. Minimum wage and persistence
and all the optimism in the world can't buy a decent used film M body
today because those on minimum wage spend the money before they earn
it. It is the state of the economy today. There's also all the
trappings of the working photographer. Either film or digital. If it's
in any sort of media then it has to be digital so it can't be a Nikon
D100 or something like that. It has to be more current for our would-be
shooter to even get an interview and not get laughed out of the HR
office. That is the way things are unfortunately.
It's not as simple as just grabbing a NOS Leicaflex but 20 years ago
that could have worked because film was still king. Even 15 years ago.
I want to do journalism though. I want to do documentary stories. Sell
my camera and that dream (and the education that goes with it) is
probably gone.
I wish there was some way that this could work out in my favor but as
my options grow fewer the M9 is going to be converted into a few
months' rent, some food and a plane ticket to New Mexico.

I think the M9 Monochrom is a symptom. It is the itching
black and white hair growing out of a painful pimple that will one day
pop.

Phil Forrest