Subject: [Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:36:54 -0400

On May 12, 2012 at 08:37 PM -0700, Doug Herr wrote:
>One of my daughter's co-workers in a northern California national park
>was an MD (not medical student) from the Czech Republic.  He made more
>money in a summer cleaning toilets than he had in a year in the Czech
>Republic as an MD.  His constructive attitude earned him more job
>offers.

I'm not surprised.  I've thought about applying for national park jobs.
Assuming I could get one, I'd probably get a pay raise from my current
salary, even as a maintenance worker.  Even the non-skilled ones pay
pretty well.  Most of the hourly positions are around $15-19/hour, with
quite a few in the $20-30 range.  Salary positions seem to start in the
mid $30s, going well into the six figures.

If people had job options like that, it would be a good thing.  Of
course, most places aren't going to consider someone from out of town
for an hourly job.  Running to some location for 1 open hourly job
posting you saw on the internet seems silly with the costs involved in
traveling from say, Philadelphia to Sante Fe.