Subject: [Leica] S2 / H System Lens adapter....
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:44:55 -0700

>From BJP:

Hasselblad has welcomed Leica's release of an adapter for Hasselblad lenses
to be fitted on a S2 medium format camera, arguing that it shows Hasselblad
lenses' "superiority"

Last week, Leica unveiled a new accessory that will allow Leica S2 owners to
use Hasselblad's 11 H-system lenses with focal lengths of 28 to 300mm, while
retaining all lens funstions such as autofocus, central shutter control and
automatic diaphragm.

The launch comes as Leica is trying to expand the attractiveness of its
medium format camera system, adding that "the versatility of Hasselblad H
lenses is expanded considerably when they are used in combination with an
S2. For instance, thanks to the dual shutter system of the Leica S2, H
lenses can be now used with the focal plane shutter at speeds of up to
1/4000 of a second. In combination with the Leica Maestro high-performance
image processor, the camera's image sensor enables perfect, noise-free
exposures up to ISO 1250."

Now, Hasselblad has responded, welcoming the launch. "We are delighted with
Leica's decision to launch an adapter that provides their customers with a
compelling opportunity to embrace the acknowledged ultimate superiority of
our medium format H System lenses," says Dr. Larry Hansen, Hasselblad
chairman and CEO.

He adds: "Every Hasselblad lens has been designed and produced to the most
exacting and meticulous standards and discerning photographers worldwide are
well aware that the image quality of any camera is only as good as the lens
that forms the image."

Speaking to BJP last week, Leica's Stephan Schulz, who is in charge of the
S-System, explained that his company had tried to reach Hasselblad for help
developing the adapter, but had not heard back. "We had to
reverse-engineering this product. This adapter translate the Leica language
to Hasselblad language, and vice-versa. In order to achieve this, we had to
do some detective work. Basically, we used logic analysers and looked at
what would happen to the lens when you gave it a specific command. For
example, we would look at the message being transmitted by the lens when you
put it at a certain shutter speed or aperture. We recorded that information
and studied it. It involved a lot of trial and errors, but after sometime
you know how it works."

It took Leica more than a year to develop the adapter, which will be
released this month with a retail price of ?1350.

Frank Filippone

Red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] S2 / H System Lens adapter....)